Contact Us

Psychobiotics - (Happiness, Pickle-Vinegar or Lemon Doesn't Matter)

  • BLOG
  • Psychobiotics - (Happiness, Pickle-Vinegar or Lemon Doesn't Matter)

I don't know what you would think of eating / But breakfast has to do with happiness

That's what Cemal Süreya says. And he's absolutely right. What we eat has a direct impact on our intestinal flora and happiness. Especially foods containing psychobiotics.

Psychobiotic expression was first used in 2013 by psychiatrist Ted Dinan.

In Canada, seven people died in the disease caused by the flood. In a 2-week period, the wounds of the epidemic were wrapped; life returned to normal. However, after years of research, the incidence of depression in the residents increased after the event. Ted Dinan suspected that there might be a connection between bacterial infections and depression, and showed the correlation between bacteria and depression.

Timothy Dinan defines psychobiotics as living organisms that, when taken in sufficient amounts, benefit the health of patients suffering from psychiatric disorders.

Cells and bacteria in the brain communicate in similar ways. When serotonin levels decrease, symptoms of depression and restlessness begin to appear. 10% of the serotonin produced in our body is of brain origin. The remaining 90% is in the digestive system.


Neural messengers


Dopamine, norepinephrine


Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)


Acetylcholine, GABA



As shown in the table above, Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium activate GABA secretion. Decrease in GABA is known to be associated with depression. Psychobiotics act as a natural antidepressant for depression with this type of neurotransmitters. (Another interesting footnote is that polyphenols in dark chocolate lead to an increase of these bacterias).

Probiotics are living bacteria that help the normal digestion process. Because of the beneficial properties of probiotics for human brain health, psychobiotic expression has started to be used more frequently instead of probiotic.

Recent studies have shown that the increase of psychobiotics in our intestines. It has been shown to increase the level of cortisone and prevent inflammation, reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety, reduce stress levels, and even improve memory and alleviate social anxiety.

Therefore, products such as sauerkraut, homemade yogurt and kefir should be among the necessary foods to be consumed in our diet rather than being arbitrary. If we cannot consume these products for certain reasons (allergies, etc.), they can be taken in powder or liquid form as food supplements. (In particular, products with labeling Lactobacillus helveticus and Bifidobacterium longum may be preferred)

Happy weekends,


Call now
We Are Here For You. Contact Us...